We’ll say it: this year’s Met Gala might have been the best one yet. The theme—“Camp: Notes on Fashion”—was an invitation to wow, dazzle and delight, and the celebrity guests certainly delivered. We would have given just about anything to have been a fly on the wall (step and repeat?) on Monday evening. Fortunately, we had the next best thing: a firsthand report from Moroccanoil Celebrity Hairstylist Bryce Scarlett. Bryce was there to style Lily Aldridge’s superstar tresses, and we’re absolutely smitten with the result.
“I drew my inspiration for Lily’s look from British Designer Richard Quinn’s collection, a mix of very proper and feminine yet with a sensual aesthetic,” says Bryce. “I wanted to play off of the ‘Camp’ theme and the interesting proportions of her dress while also giving an avant-garde shape to the face and playing up her strength with a high ponytail.”
The best part? While the resulting style was a perfect complement to her bejeweled gown, the sleek ponytail is also versatile enough that you could make it work for red carpet-free events. (Think formal weddings and nights out when you want to channel your inner supermodel.) It’s also a great style to have on-hand for summer—starting with an ultra-hydrating mask, styling with Blow-dry Concentrate and finishing with a generous spritz of hairspray makes the look practically humidity-proof.
To recreate Lily Aldridge’s look, just follow the steps below! Now if only we could figure out how to recreate those cheekbones.
Get the Look
1) First, prep hair with Intense Hydrating Mask to keep the hair healthy and shiny.
2) On damp hair, use a dime size amount of Moroccanoil Treatment to provide the perfect foundation for styling.
3) Apply a dime size amount of Blow-dry Concentrate from mid length to the ends of the hair and blow the hair out smooth using a Ceramic 45 mm Round Brush and the MO2000 Professional Series Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer.
4) Once the hair is fully blown out, flat iron with the Professional Series Titanium Ceramic Hairstyling Iron.
6) Secure the ponytail with an elastic hair bungee, then run through the ponytail with a comb and flat iron to ensure the hair is stick straight.
7) Next, wrap a black silk ribbon around the ponytail to disguise the hair band.
8) Finish the look with Luminous Hairspray Medium to provide a long-lasting, weightless hold.